The Last Situation



Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino calls himself “The Situation” because his rectus abdomini, per his apprehension of them, are so momentous in their shape and stiffness, that it has resulted in, well, a situation. To speak of oneself in not just the third-person, but as a circumstance, is pretty fucking impressive. I was instantly drawn to Mike very early on in the show because of his struggle with the ladies. Despite the jacuzzi, liquor, body oil, and other mating apparatus, he never got laid in the end. Here stands a man, albeit an irrational man, wrapped in muscle. In the finale of first and only season I viewed, he ends up making out with roommate Snooki — an unfortunate anticlimax to a series full of promising vag-action, in which two grazed hearts (he was immediately turned down by Sammi after brief interest) repair each other with a wet coating of tongue-action. I was really crestfallen by their embarrassing, wavering pity, as it was very tragic.

With the final episode of Jersey Shore looming on the horizon, I would like to pay homage to the ever optimist, Sorrentino, who had a way with words:

This is “The Situation” right here, my abs are so ripped up it’s, we call it “The Situation.”

You can hate on me all you want to, but what can you possibly say to somebody that looks like Rambo, pretty much, with his shirt off.

I mean this situation is gonna be indescribable, you can’t even describe the situation that you’re about to get into the situation.

I necessarily didn’t want to bring home any sort of zoo creatures what-so-ever. I mean, these broads just probably smelled the food at the house.

I wait till the last minute to shave, I wait till the last minute to put the shirt on ’cause you feel fresh.

It’s obvious that Sammi has a crush on me, it goes back to the days of prehistoric kindergarten.

I knew she was 18, that ass does not look 12.



His misogynistic logic is ineffable, the fleeting, almost disturbed connections he makes. Although this all may well be the consequence of too much Vitamin D or Red Bull, I believe Sorrentino was onto something. Our misconception as the audience is our conviction that we are more intelligent than him; we dismiss Sorrentino for not being a member of our aesthetic class. The cynical extent with which we are “entertained” by programs “beneath” us (Made in Chelsea,The Only Way is Essex, The Bachelor, etc.) alludes to a deep conceit, as if we are somehow invulnerable to the common tendencies portrayed. As if we are a higher quality form of human.

Perhaps Sorrentino — who became heartbroken; who became garish yet morose around Ronnie, the alpha-male; who ventured to console Snooki, who had also been heartbroken; who, thrilled by the free edibles made plenty of meals; who just wants to be famous, compelled somehow; whose rhapsodic take on the world is just short of outstanding; who most likely sleeps alone at night with the thought of a girl next to him; who, exhausted and fearful of being human, has developed a blanket of defense, a blanket so thick and close to skin like a carapace — is much like us. I never watched anyone on television who wasn’t me.

A beast sees a face in everything. We are drawn to that which most accurately portrays us, which is fundamentally what entertainment is. My fellow kind people, literature is but a loquacious plaster on the excoriated  wound of the Jersey Shore on which we all inhabit. There are no stupid people, just people who don’t use smart words. I see myself in the young girls on The Bachelor who just desire a rose, an idea of a more satisfying life. Place two TVs adjacent to each other and you have a pair of eyes. Switch off the lights and you have a BFF. As for my situation, and indication from its structure, the God we all call TV spent that Sunday  off shaping me; that he used his feet is just one of his minute cruelties.


22 comments:

  1. hmmm, i like this post, idris. i liked the situation too, by first season's end, along with pauly d and snooki (not so much sammi and ronnie and JWOWW). also, judging by a video i saw of the situation parodying himself, he's definitely smarter than he lets on (you can already tell he's witty from watching the show). and your point is well-taken, idris, that there is no one we're better than or completely different from. one last thing: it's been my experience that smart douchey guys, as opposed to dumb douchey guys, can be enjoyable company as long as you remind yourself that their douchiness is partly running the show and may take over at any time (that sounds confusing and/or condescending, but i don't mean it to). what i mean is, there is a refreshing, this-is-what-i-want, i know i'm kind of an asshole but i'm being very honest and i'm keeping it within reasonable(ish) parameters -type of feel to what i'm calling smart douchebags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idris? You are so gay. But that's why I like you. For you: a rose.

    Question: do you think this makes Sorrentino a situationist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. scott mcclanahan10 July 2013 at 19:09

    Good post Idris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're on fire dude

    last paragraph is gold

    ReplyDelete
  5. This mook has the face of a Bleacher Bum and the gait of a 7 year old boy who just got his leg braces removed. He can't get it up for the sluts and the trolls make him premature ejaculate. Everyone who contributes to giantreader - Blake, Alec, Matthew, Ken, Justin, Nick - would trade everything they have ever written and published if it meant they could be this dork for one month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, sir, have never seen Blake Butler's abs.

      Delete
    2. Sure I have. I ate couscous off of them.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally, an intellectual discusses the Shore. Greatness here, Idris. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lorianelizabeth10 July 2013 at 19:27

      i've been waiting for this moment.

      Delete
    2. Gosh, I thought this was the one place I'd be safe from hearing about Jersey Shore. I'm not hating: this post was very well written. But I'm really sick of hearing about this show...

      Delete
  8. Doosh. Doosh. Doosh. Doosh-doosh. Doosh-doosh-doosh. Doosh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I necessarily didn’t want to bring home any sort of zoo creatures what-so-ever. I mean, these broads just probably smelled the food at the house."

    Anybody that says this is my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is brilliant, Idris. I think the only thing you missed is The Situation's tendency to declare himself the "man of the house" over and over and over again. He really is so strangely clever and baldfacedly douchey that he's fantastic. Just like the show itself. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how some of you are treating these assbags like they're a freakin' specimen of flower that has never been seen before. Don't most of you, or all of you, like, live in New York, or have lived in New York? These fucknuts are a dime a dozen. All you have to do is step outside. So now every dipshit with a spray tan from the Northeastern Seaboard deserves a MacArthur Grant? Unless you're being iron...Oh. Ha. I get it now. Youse guys are like making fun of these fingerfucks by takin' em seriously. That's, like, really smart. And shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. close, but no -- i preferred it when you were vinereal dieseasel

      Delete
    2. I'm not doing this to entertain you, Two Lin. The only thing that's close are yr eyes. Now get back to yr computer and waste some more of yr brain cells trying to make sense of the non-sensical.

      Delete
    3. no balls at least got 2 puns, nice.

      Delete
  12. I agree wholeheartedly. I'm an undergrad, and I actually just wrote a paper for an American poetry class comparing Walt Whitman, Carl Sandburg, and The Situation. I got a 100. College can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was awesome, Idris. 'The situation' could also be a way of talking about orientation toward a thing which is, I think, the best thing about your post and what it subtly unpacks.

    ReplyDelete