i can be your crutch



You can say things to me like “i can be your crutch,” and I will smile and nod and the sound will work its way through me. I’ll get the general idea and we may bond. We’re lonely together for a reason. You can tell me I am weird and I will smirk and you may or may not look into my iris and it might possibly begin to look like the depths of another world, or galaxy even, if that’s where it takes you. Or it might not. I won’t know unless you tell me. And you won’t know unless I tell you. Tell me so I can get the general idea and I can smile and nod and we can be there. We are here lonely together for a reason, after all. Memories of affection or lack of affection travel through you at the sound of the planet, anchored by the heaviest gaze you can even sit with. The heavier we get the more we lie together, weighed down by words we’ve shared, tiny oral expressions passed ceaselessly back and forth for hours. This is how we’ve always tried to get out of ourselves and into each other.
I have used expression precisely and in a way that conveyed abstract thought before. Did it do me any good? I couldn’t say.
“I would quit and join The Rolling Stones for you. If I could.”
Certain people are going to understand you. They are going to confiscate you, even. Carry you away, and you’re going to give yourself up. You’re going to give yourself up absolutely to them, these people who Want you, because you want too, more than mostly anyone, I imagine. Maybe they make you feel things no one else has tried yet and even more people will arise. Maybe you will nurture their children and maybe you’ll dislike them for it while your attractive, youthful life dissolves fast.
What I’m saying is you could structure me. I could dissolve you. We could spend all day together in my studio. We can interfuse together. I’ve disintegrated before and had little to show for it. A person can get scattered after a while. I’ve seen it happen. It’s as easy as being abandoned up on a shelf or in the middle of the floor, a person just shows up and cleans you up after a bit. Can’t blame a person for wanting to keep their space nice and neat and I’m not sure how else one ought to deal with ashes. No, I don’t want to decay anymore. What I’m looking for is a sort of cashmere experience. I want to be woven, is what I’m saying. It’s an art we can do around the place, learn together in our own time, but once you’re down, you’re absorbed. You’re connected.
I once saw wild cats mating when I lived on my farm in Sudan. If you are unfamiliar with cat procreation, that may be because house cats usually go about it secretly. Sudanese cats apparently aren’t, they copulated right in front of us while their kittens watched in the background. An essential thing to know is that the male feline penis can be represented like the spikes in a parking facility that come up to keep you from backing in. He gains entry and the spikes branch out and there is no withdrawal without repercussions. I watched them with their offspring and the female’s bawling rose from a low purr to a rabid shriek. He finished and she bit him and that was that. An act of brutality for sure, but what isn’t? Have you gotten so detached from where you are, what you are, that you don’t realize that all human interaction is arbitrary? Have you been so empty and lost that this seems deplorable? If this makes you feel depressed then you asked for it. It’s the tremor of your derelict soul caving in on itself and you need to contend it with brute, a lot. Yes, I am certain that even when my mother was breast feeding me it was arbitrary to a certain degree.
There are repercussions for you and me. A man told me, “I can’t be the guy at the bottom of the stairs holding the flowers anymore.” I can’t either but I miss how painful it felt. The fact of the matter is I don’t know who I was 4 years ago. That’s the pleasant thing about pain, you don’t have to take it candidly. It can manifest as confidant a feeling as you want and you can construct your own monuments in you. Make my nervous system my confederate, make my demons my captives, and I can love you if you want. It’s not my choice. Gandhi once told his wife he couldn’t tell her that he loved her more than any other human because it wouldn’t be just. If you are fascinated and are pondering how you too can become this much of a gangsta, I will tell you how.
Be really nice to people without wanting anything in return so they in turn consider your spirit is free and spend it freely. Love “unconditionally" until you are exhausted and break. This is what is sometimes called a “long scam,” but if you are willing to do anything adequately it is going to have to be done regularly over time. If you can convince a person to marry you, imagine what else you could persuade that person to do. Imagine what that person will be able to convince you to do. And you’ve chosen to feel bad about it. Will you perform immeasurable acts of brutality to protect your precious, bitter ego? Maybe.
But what if you weren’t here in my grey matter?
What I’m saying is, you are and that’s why it’s so important to be here, now.
I will tell you I love you if that’s what you want to hear. I will mean it if that’s what you require. Don’t take this the way it seems. We can have our love first and constitution second. You know that everything we do together is basically a transfer of energy, right? People use their energy differently. We have random beliefs of how much we think we deserve to receive and how much we are willing to give out and what I’m saying is I want to figure it out with you.

19 comments:

  1. very very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi i read it again just now, i wish i wrote this

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Good, even great, call. Btw I'm the one who just added you on Facebook.

      Delete
    2. I loved this piece. (I adore JB too, so, extra.) I felt a frisson. Maybe it's because your writing reminds me of mine but with less insecurity!

      Delete
  3. Very interesting post. There was one thing you said that really made me think though. "Be really nice to people without wanting anything in return so they in turn consider your spirit is free and spend it freely." What about sex? Isn't sex selfish? As a woman can you really give sex to a man and not expect anything in return? Isn't the basis of love about the Ego? I'm not sure if we are biologically built to love unconditionally. I think attachment is something ingrained in out genes and it is a way of life for many species, not just human beings. There is pain associated with love, but I think you can chose to deal with that pain in different ways such as art or music, creative outlets etc.

    You say "We can have our love first and constitution second." What do you mean? Do you believe in relationships then? What about marriage? Are you proposing a new definition of love? Can you love without fear? Do you really have enough emotional energy to love everyone? I think these are important questions to take into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi katie, thank you.

      the part about giving people your energy for free isn't meant to be taken literally. that isn't the sort of thing i think anyone should be doing, but i've found myself doing it when i really want to please someone. i guess what i was saying there is that it doesn't work and you should Do You or smthng.

      what i mean by "love first and constitution second" is that there are a lot of things that distract us from engaging with each other as humans, essentially. i think Love is a funny word in english because it's really 4-5 different words (not sure, thinking about greek) that mean totally different yet related things.

      i do not have enough emotional energy to love everyone, in a certain sense. i think i may be able to manage to Love myself a certain way first, then have enough left over for close friends and family. i can probably manage to love people in the sense that i fundamentally respect and admire human beings even though they are insensitive a lot of the time.

      Delete
    2. Hi Idris,

      Thanks for responding. I really liked the article. What other words can love be in English? The article actually sparked a conversation about unconditional love with a friend of mine. I think you have to love yourself before loving other people. You can give more love this way. I just think about romantic relationships sometimes and wonder what happens to that self-love when you become really involved with another person.

      Delete
    3. im not sure what the semantic solution to the love problem in english is. i looked up agape, phillia, eros, and storge last night after i cooked for my 12 year old brother, while we were eating tacos in our kitchen and i read them out loud and he nodded solemnly. tacos were good. i propose we just start using these words too. so many words with greek roots anyway, why not.

      Delete
  4. I didn't totally understand it, but I really liked it. Seemed sort of stream-of-consciousness in some places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idris. You sound like someone who loves so hard it took something from them once or maybe a few times and then they had to be careful about how they give their heart to people, and why. Politics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent excellent excellent

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful!

    I read the 1st paragraph thrice. Just because it was so beautifully written. To me, you sound like the person who falls so deeply in love, that you are ready to blend in to their colors and still find yourself.

    "Love “unconditionally" until you are exhausted and break." We do this more than we realize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you sound a lot like like bill hitchert and tao lin. cool.

    ReplyDelete